Welcome!

I've been debating on whether to make a writer's blog for a long time now. My best friend suggested it but I was nervous to put my work out on the vast information compactor we know as the internet. But then I began taking a writing class and we had an assignment. We had basic guidelines and then we were off to let creativity happen. Mine came to like eleven pages. The next week our professor handed them out to other students so we could review them. The boy who got mine read it and left me so many positive comments that it totally pushed me into trying this. THANKS KEVIN! Enjoy!

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightening and a lightening bug." -Mark Twain

"Proofread carefully to see if you any words out." -Unknown

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Bannded Books Week

Alrighty, then. If some of you are like me you might not have realized that this week (Sept. 24th-Oct. 1st) is Banned Books Week, celebrating the right to read freely. Ironically I looked at this earlier on simonandschuster.com and just shrugged until I got to looking into some of the books that are banned. Some books that I've read and LOVED! were on the list. I then remembered something that my 11th grade lit teacher said: "Every great book is banned somewhere" These books describe ideas, feelings, and events that other people are too afraid to talk about. But In my mind, after looking into why some of these books were banned, there are movies a hundred times worse then some of these books that people rave and rave about. On simonandschuster.com they have posted every year Ellen Hopkins' manifesto on the subject of banned books. I love what she said in there "But sticks and stones do break bones, and ignorance is no armor." All I can say is amen to that and long live all books!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment